Friday, 28 February 2014

Up in smoke!

Unfortunately making it to the rego inspection just did not happen.

As much as I'd thought the bike was ready, it was full of surprises.

The most frightening of issues occurred when the chain tensioner flipped over and rubbed against my master power switch, shorting out the battery all locked up nicely in the milk jug and smoked itself up!

Luckily I managed to disconnect it before the bike went up in flames.

I thought out a quick and easy fix to ensure that my bolt on chain tensioner never flips over again.

It's simply restricted by a chain that's bolted to the main arm of the tensioner and exhaust bracket.

It ain't elegant, but it is effective. I can easily remove it for shows if I can be bothered. I might even just get the eye bolt, chain and link copper coated to match the brake rod and stay.

I also tightened the drive chain further as well as lifted the guard to gain tyre clearance.

Hopefully no more hitting of the main power switch (I've made it smaller) and subsequent battery fires will occur moving forward.


Thursday, 27 February 2014

Down she goes

Last Thursday night I put the call our for help to get the bike out of the apartment.

We had 3 flights of stairs to deal with, but we got there in the end.

I started at 7.30pm and finished at 2.30am, as I was hoping to make a rego inspection later that day.

Thanks Yanni, Brad, Harley, Carina and Carol for your help to get it downstairs safe and sound!


Tuesday, 25 February 2014

First start-up

Here's the first start-up in the apartment no less.

It was here that I discovered that I had some fuel and oil leaks to contend with before I try and get it registered.




Saturday, 22 February 2014

From joy to drama

In the lead up to my first start-up, I noticed that the final engine part which was the cam chain tensioner would't fit!

As it turned out the rear cam chain guide was installed upside down. The pitfalls of trying to build an engine in one loooooooooooong day!

It was also challenging to creatively remove the guide without cracking the cam chain as I didn't have a replacement master link.

So long story short, I had to completely dissasemble the bike, strip the top-end of the motor, and rebuild it again.

My brother, Thomas and Reynolds did such an amzing job to help me knock it over as quickly as we did.


Sunday, 16 February 2014

Pretty bits!

So here's how she looks with the pretty bits attached.
 
Still have plenty of fiddling about to do on her before she's ready to start-up.

Thanks to my brother, Stan and Damon for helping me over the last couple of days.






Monday, 3 February 2014

We have a heart!

Saturday was a huge step forward in getting Thor's Hammer completed and on the road. Darren Millichamp of DNA Custom Motorcycles and Michael my brother (who is also the painter) helped me bolt the motor together.

To say that I'm grateful for their help is an understatement!


Saturday, 1 February 2014

Stripe me lucky!

I managed to make my own vintage style spark plug lead covers with a cheap and cheerful rope from the local hardware. I also managed to make my own leather washers as these are really hard to find. I made them to help protect the final finishes and reduce vibrations (slightly).


Yesterday I finally got the pin-striping done. I only need to wait for the enamel to cure for a few days prior to final clear coat, sanding a buffing.





Sunday, 12 January 2014

Mock up

Matching headlight and taillight assemblies



 Rough mock up of the motor. Still needs a bit more tidying of the fins, a polish of the oil filter cover and cleaning of the mating surfaces before final assembly.